A few weeks ago, we had a post on the types of gifts shoppers plan to give this year. Gift cards came out as one of the top presents people plan to give. Knowing what types of gift cards people plan to give can help you create a gift card strategy for your business or what gift card vendor your business should do business with.
• Four in 10 consumers plan to give 1 -3 gift cards this holiday season
• A quarter of shoppers plan to give 4 to 6 gift cards
• Gift cards to discount retailers will be the most purchased – 36% of consumers expect to buy cards to that store type
• One in four consumers gift cards purchased will be for a restaurant
• One in five cards bought will be for a prepaid multi-use card such as a prepaid Visa or an online only retailers such Amazon or iTunes
• 17% of holiday gift card buyers will buy a card for a regular department store
• 15% of gift cards purchased will be from a specialty retailer or from an electronics retailer
What Does This Mean To You?
If your company doesn’t have a gift card available for itself, it might be something you wish to explore. Partnering with a vendor who sells cards for other companies may also be something to think about.
Not only are consumers buying them as gifts, they are the type of present the most consumers want to receive. Gift cards make a great point of purchase sale – especially during the holidays. Shoppers are in a hurry and gift cards are a clean, easy purchase to make. If your business sells greeting cards, that is another place to locate them. For more information on how to make your company more profitable for the holidays and beyond, please contact your Sun Sentinel representative or:
Advertising Marketing Manager
Source: Mobile Commerce Daily; Deloitte