Recently, we posted research on how the number of mobile consumers are projected to see huge increases in the next few years. Major retailers are taking notice and more of them are deploying mobile initiatives.
• In the past year, the number of mobile engaged retailers has increased by over 160%
• 95% of these companies have a mobile web presence and 49% have a downloadable app
• The number of major retailers with an app jumped 88% year over year
• Over half of theses major retailer mobile sites render across all major mobile platforms – in the past year that number has nearly doubled
• When accessed via iPad, over 91% of these major retailer mobile sites redirected to a desktop site, 7% went to a mobile site and just 2% went to a tablet specific web site
• When accessed on an Android tablet, 71% went to a desktop site and 29% went to mobile site. None of the sites redirected to a tablet only site
What Does This Mean To You?
These major retailers, many of them are your direct competitors, are making big investments in their mobile future. Not only do you need to make sure your mobile presence is functional, you should look at what they are doing.
Are there capabilities that their mobile site offers that yours does not?
Are there things that your mobile site can do better?
What can you do to make your site a better experience for local shoppers?
It’s also a good idea to look for current trends and what might be the next big thing. Many of these major retailers move slowly, this gives you the opportunity to be an innovator and own functionality before the competition does. For more information on how to create a winning mobile strategy, please contact your Sun Sentinel representative or:
Advertising Marketing Manager
Source: Mobile Commerce Daily; Acquity Group