If there was ever a question of how important mobile devices have become to consumers, second screening activity should put it to rest. It’s usually the television that keeps people mesmerized; now mobile content has become so important, it’s disrupting the time honored tradition of vegging out in front of the tube. A new study has looked at second screening and the differences between watching TV while using a tablet or smart phone.
• The top activity is checking email – nearly 60% over tablet owners
and over 50% of smart phone owners check email with their devices while watching TV
• Accessing online content unrelated to the show being watched – 55% of tablet owners were distracted by unrelated content as were 36% of smart phone owners
• Utilized a downloaded app – Half of tablet owners and over 40% of smart phone owners used an app while watching TV
• Shopping – 45% of tablet owners shopped while watching TV, 23% of smart phone owners did the same
• Visited a social network – Over 40% of tablet owners and smart phone owners went to a social media content while watching TV
• Accessed information related to the show they were watching – Nearly 4 in 10 tablet owners and almost a quarter of smart phone owners did this
• Looked up product information on an ad viewed on TV – Just over one in four tablet users and less than one in six smart phone owners went online to access content about an ad they saw
• Looked up coupons/deals related to a TV ad – Only 22% of tablet owners and 12% of smart phone users went online with their device to find coupons or deals because of an ad they viewed
What Does This Mean To You?
There has always been multi-tasking. The difference is that consumers are accessing content that rivals the attention of what is on TV. In fact, second screen actions that involve TV programming are the lowest ranking of the surveyed activities. This shows how disruptive second screening is to any messages you may have on TV. Consumers who are using their tablets or smart phones while watching TV are usually holding those devices, so they have added engagement. Even with on-demand options, mobile technology gives users more choices and allows them to decide the content they want to watch. That also gives businesses more targeting option. For more information on how to create more awareness and engagement using mobile, please contact your Sun Sentinel representative or:
Advertising Marketing Manager