Last month, we had a post about how smart phone owners are active shoppers. In fact, over 70% of smart phone owners used their device on their last shopping trip. A new study has been released that details what groups are the fastest adopters of mobile shopping activities. Knowing who these groups are can help bring success to your mobile shopping offerings. But it may not be who you think it is.
• More than 30% of African-Americans have located a retailer through a smart phone
• More than one in five African-Americans used a mobile device to read a product review
• Over 20% of African-Americans have also used a mobile device to store a shopping list
• 40% of African-Americans have interacted with a company through SMS
• While tech adoption is often considered a male first function, women have been quicker to move towards mobile shopping
• 25% of women have located a retailer via mobile device compared to 20% of men
• Women are also more likely than men to read product reviews, keep a shopping list and make purchases on a mobile device
• Hispanic consumers are more likely to compare prices on a mobile device than other groups
What Does This Mean To You?
Most tech adoption happens first by younger, affluent male consumers. But with mobile shopping, that just isn’t the case. When you are looking at targets for your m-commerce activities, you can’t afford to overlook the African-American & Hispanic segments or female consumers.
Broward and Palm Beach Adults who live in a household with a smart phone:
• American-Americans – 44%
• Hispanics – 41%
• Females – 35%
Targeting will help you get the most out of your mobile shopping efforts. Promote your programs and capabilities in relevant content. Make sure you offer your customers real value and continue to fine tune your program once it is in place. For more information on reaching the groups that can bring you mobile success, please contact your Sun Sentinel representative or:
Advertising Marketing Manager
Source: Mobile Commerce Daily; The Integer Group; M/A/R/C Research