Since launching just over a year ago, Pinterest has rapidly become the number three social networking site. For the unfamiliar, it differs greatly from Facebook or Twitter. Pinterest is a photo-based virtual pinboard where users create boards and pin photos to them. Being a visually formatted social presence, Pinterest offers your organization a great way to create awareness.
• Six in 10 users are female
• Over half of users are age 25-44
• Half of users have household incomes of $50,000+, over 20% are in the $75,000+ group
• The Pinterest iPhone app has been downloaded over 250,000 times
• Over 20% of Facebook uses are daily Pinterest users
• Some of the top Pinterest boards relate to crafts, hobbies, design and fashion
What Does This Mean To You
Pinterest can be a great sales driver for your company. It’s not just Pinterest’s rapid growth but also it’s the basic format and the user’s propensity to purchase
that make it a valuable tool.
• Pinterest is projected to account for 40% of socially driven purchases in 2012
• Buyers referred from Pinterest are 10% more likely to make a purchase and spend an average of 10% more than visitors referred by other networks
• Shopify, one of the major e-commerce platforms, reports that orders generated from Pinterest have quadrupled from September 2011 to April 2012
Pinterest is quickly gaining adoption and awareness, but you need to direct customers to your Pinterest boards. Three-quarters of consumers said they “like” or follow companies on social media because of advertising. Social media success begins with creating awareness about your offerings. For more information on keeping your business top of mind and developing loyal customers, please contact your Sun Sentinel representative or:
Advertising Marketing Manager
Source: Forbes; thesocialskinny.com; Media Bistro; Mashable; Shopify